From the Heart is an education project run by Cape York Institute, which is an independent, national not-for-profit organisation. From the Heart aims to increase awareness about the Uluru Statement from the Heart and why it is important for Indigenous Australians to be recognised in the Constitution, so as to have a Voice to Parliament.
We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected and that any personal information we collect from you will be used in accordance with this privacy statement and Australian law.
What is your personal information?
What data do we collect?
The types of personal information we collect include your name, email and postcode, and any information you provide us through our online website.
How do we collect your data?
From the Heart usually collects personal information about individuals directly from those individuals or their authorised representative, including through your online interaction with us on our website and social media sites.
You directly provide From the Heart with the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register online or place an order for any of our products or services.
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email.
- Pledge your support for the Uluru Statement from the Heart through the From the Heart Canvas
From the Heart also sometimes collects personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if the individual has consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect their personal information in this way.
We will not collect other sensitive information about you, including information about your political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, or criminal record unless you have consented for us to do so, or the collection of the information is required or authorised by Australian law.
How will we use your data?
From the Heart collects your data so that we can:
- Keep you up-to-date with information regarding the Uluru Statement from the Heart.
- If you agree, From the Heart will share your data with our partners so that they may offer you their services.
- Publicly display your support for the project in any way seen fit by From the Heart
We may sometimes use or disclose personal information for another purpose other than those listed above. However, we will only do so where you have consented for us to do so, you would reasonably expect From the Heart to use or disclose the information, or the disclosure is required or authorised by Australian law.
We will not sell, rent, loan or otherwise disclose your personal information to enable any third party to contact you on their own behalf unless required or permitted by Australian law.
How do we store your data?
From the Heart will not download and store your data onsite.
From the Heart will keep your name, email and postcode for the duration of the project. Once this time period has expired, we will delete your data by removing all respondents from our online platforms.
From the Heart will not download and store your data onsite.
- If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date.
- You have the right at any time to stop From the Heart from contacting you for marketing purposes.
- If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please click to unsubscribe on your email or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What are your data protection rights?
From the Heart would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request From the Heart for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that From the Heart correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request From the Heart to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that From the Heart erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that From the Heart restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to From the Heart’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request From the Heart transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at our email: Or write to us: email@example.com
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology. For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org.
Keeping you signed in
Understanding how you use our website
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Data quality and security
When we collect personal information from you, we expect you will only provide information that is accurate, complete and up to date. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is correct and relevant.
We will take reasonable precautions to maintain the confidentiality of all the information that we hold about you, and will endeavour to protect the information from misuse, interferences and loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
All personal information is securely held by From the Heart, with access restricted to authorised staff only. Where personal information is stored by third parties, From the Heart takes steps to ensure that it is securely stored.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information about an individual if it is no longer needed and is not required to be retained by law.
On request, we will take reasonable steps to let you know what sort of personal information we hold about you, for what purposes, and how we collect, hold, use and disclose that information. If you ask, we will give you access to your personal information within a reasonable time, unless there is a law that allows or requires us not to.
We may charge you for giving you access to the personal information if it is appropriate, however the charge will not be excessive.
If we refuse to give you access to your personal information we will give you a written explanation of our reasons, and notice of the available mechanisms to make a complaint, unless it would be unreasonable to do so.
We aim to ensure that all personal information held by From the Heart is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
If you want to change any information that you have previously provided, please contact us and we will respond to the request within a reasonable period (approximately 30 days) and will take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
If we refuse to correct the personal information we will give you a written notice that sets out our reasons, and notice of the available mechanisms to make a complaint, unless it would be unreasonable to do so.
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
From the Heart will not transfer your personal information to someone who is in a foreign country.
Sign the Wall
From the Heart reserves the right to not include signatories on the Uluru Statement Wall that may be spam or advertisements. From the Heart also reserves the right to not include signatories that are offensive, illegal, abusive, profane or defamatory. We will not accept any signatories that are sexist, homophobic, racist or discriminatory.
From the Heart may use your name, photo and words of support for the Uluru Statement that you have provided to the Canvas on social media and in other collateral.
How to contact us
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to contact the appropriate authority
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that From the Heart has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact the Cape York Institute.
Cape York Institute.
Baninh Yeeum Building
302-310 Sheridan Street
Cairns QLD 4870
P (07) 4046 0600
F (07) 4046 0601